Friday, April 30, 2010

On Being a Twin

This is all I've ever known.
I realized that I've never really written about what it's like to be a twin...I think I'll start today...although I'm not really sure where to start. 
Being a twin is who I am everyday of my life and that can be really hard to describe.

My sister and I understand each other unlike any other relationship I've known. My other third (that would be my husband) and I are soul mates and we know each other better than most people know us...yet my sister and I have possibly an even stronger bond, a different kind of bond.

We have such a strong sense of each other. We always tell people, "We just know." 
We know what the other is feeling at most moments because 99.99999% of the time we are feeling the exact same way ourselves. We think the same. We act the same. We sound the same. Our toes are the same.

When I wrote the other day about finding myself and being happy with 'me' I realized that maybe I haven't truly felt myself since my sister and I went off to different colleges six years ago...then she left for grad school...and now she's 2,000 miles away.  I know I have to know myself on my own without my sister, but maybe the 'us' is truly who 'me' is. Does that make any sense? When I saw my sister over spring break I was so incredibly happy. I was myself...I could act silly and stupid and not care who saw. I spoke my mind...I tried new things.  

So I guess being a twin sometimes is complicated and yet at the same time is one of the most amazing things on earth. 

4 comments :