Monday, January 4, 2010

doctor, lawyer, fireman...kindergarten teacher?

When I talk to my family about being a Kindergarten teacher...I usually walk away feeling like my job is easy peezy.  My older sister experiments with chemicals that will burn your skin off, works with mice, wears a lab coat, and is finding a cure for cancer.  My twin sister works with objects that are thousands of years old...cataloguing them and working to preserve them for generations to come, works with tribal members, and is actually some peoples' boss.  


here is what my morning routine entailed



begin by killing the H1N1 virus and all other germs that exist in my classroom

water all the plants

organize supply caddies...put caps on 25 glue sticks (I think kids are immune to the words, "Put the cap on your glue stick!!!")

sharpen a billion pencils...wait for sharpener to cool down after overheating...sharpen a billion more pencils


update schedule so I don't get scolded by a group of five year olds

change the calendar 

update Morning Letter

mark off BARK awards earned the previous day...10 Awards=awesome prize like a pencil or eraser  

file file file

prepare attendance chart

organize and prepare literacy centers

organize and prepare math stations

plan 8 hours of fun filled learning and activities that all align with Colorado State Standards and District policies 

plan reading groups

have a quiet moment with Mr. Dragon discussing what the day will look like...how we hope our class will earn more smilies than frownies, share, use kind words, and learn something.

juuussst kidding (maybe) except I do take a moment to hope and pray the day is successful and that I can be the best teacher to my class

phew...and the kids haven't even arrived

so I may not be saving lives or preserving history, but I have perfected the art of tying shoes, zipping zippers, using a puppet, and multitasking like you wouldn't believe

5 comments :

  1. you have the most important job in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing all those detailed things are just part of what makes you a wonderful teacher. It's what helps to make the day go smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are advancing the lives of countless children and brining them joy,
    knowledge and excitement everyday.
    A most worthy career choice!!! Who want's to get peed on by mice
    everyday anyway?? :-) Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica-

    Wow, you make me feel like the biggest slacker! We have 40 minutes before the kids arrive in the morning.....you do all of that EVERY morning? I need my plan time to make sure pencils are sharpened and my book bags are organized. I'm very impressed! (P.S. Did I mention we have the same exact 100th day caterpillar in my classroom? We call him "Mr. Bug"). You've inspired me to get waaaaay more done in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very sweet! I guess I can thank our awful late start time to getting some things done in the morning!

    ReplyDelete