Sunday, January 24, 2010

Conferences

This past week we had our first round of conferences to talk about 2nd quarter grades...yes that's right, we give grades in Kindergarten.  No more S and S+ for the sand and water table or dramatic play like we had. Students are expected to be proficient in ALL academic areas. 

One of my conferences has been really bothering me and I'm trying to let it go and not take it personally.  It went something like this.


Me: Hi! How are you this evening? We haven't met yet.  I'm Mrs. Wol...
Parent: You know you just wasted my time by taking up half of my conference time with those other people. I've got another conference to go to. I ain't got all night for this.  


Me: Don't worry I'll get you out on time for your other conference.   
Parent: Huff*Puff*Growl


Me: Well let me show you your daughter's report card. She's doing a fantastic job!
Parent: This ISN'T MY daughter's report card!! She never did this well EVER. She's always fighting and being awful at home. 


Me: Your daughter is very bright...she's Proficient or Advanced in all areas.   
Parent: Well I just don't know what to say. 


Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring!


Me: Let's take a look at how she's doing in Reading. As you can s...
Parent: Hang on a minute I gotta answer this. Hello? No, I'm just in a conference right now with my daughter's teacher. Yeah. Uh huh. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.....(4 minutes later)


Me: So anywaaays. Now that you've just wasted my time...just kidding. That's what I wanted to say. 


On her way out she said, "Humph! I almost broke my back sitting in that baby chair."  


Your Welcome!!!!!! I wanted to shout after her.  Your Welcome for teaching your daughter manners, how to be nice to people, and how to be a good person.   

These are the moments when I want to give my student a big hug and tell them, "Now I understand everything."  

1 comment :