Monday, May 28, 2012

Preparing

At my midwife appointment last week I finally opened up about my fears and worries of giving birth. My midwife told me in her calm and motherly way that most pregnant women have many fears and worries and one of the best things we can do is talk openly about them.  She recommended the book Birthing From Within for me to read so that I might prepare a little more for my labor. 
I love what the author wrote when she said, "...Women have to prepare for birth in their heart and soul, not their head. Giving birth is something a women does in her body, not in her head."  I know that so many women out there don't believe in birthing naturally, I even had someone tell me that C-sections are for sophisticated women.  I wish every woman understood that our bodies are made to bring our babies into this world.  But we can't go into labor blindly. We need to prepare ourselves for the pain. Prepare ourselves for any unplanned situations. We have to go back to trusting our most basic instincts. 
 Pregnant women need those around them to lift them up emotionally and spiritually and emphasize the importance of this new experience they are about to have.  We should be connecting as mothers to those around us. I don't think enough credit is given to women for such an extraordinary feat as giving birth.  It truly is amazing and it makes me sad to think that some women aren't celebrated, encouraged, and told those four important words, "You can do it."
I know there can't be one right way to have a baby...there are millions of women in this world, each listening to the rhythm of her own body, each finding the way that works for her. And I know I have never given birth before, but I feel like this is my own rite of passage into motherhood and I need to enter this new world of becoming a mother without any preconceived notions of what is the "right way" to do it. I want to give birth only in the way that is right for my baby and I at that moment.  

I know there is still much I don't know and won't know until meeting my daughter is only hours away. But there are two things that I do know about giving birth that I can focus on for now. 

It's hard work.  
I can do this.   

5 comments :

  1. You can definitely do this Jessica. This post is so inspiring for me. I'm going to check out that book. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I completely agree. Birthing is the most incredible experience and God made our bodies to do it and do it well. You'll be great. Have you read Ina May Garten? She is my favorite, hippy, birthing on a farm, crunchy midwife. Her book (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth) is full of incredible, empowering birth stories. You can definitely do this! And no matter how your little lady arrives, you'll be so proud after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm reading her book now too! I've been reading those birth stories over and over!

      Delete
  3. I love this post, too! I'm nowhere near becoming a mother (unwed college student here) but I have always loved the idea of a natural delivery, especially at home. Our bodies were created for this, after all. Thanks for sharing. I am so looking forward to hearing your post-labor thoughts!

    ReplyDelete