Thursday, May 6, 2010

Teacher Appreciation

To all my amazing teachers I've had:
You have inspired me.
You have helped make me who I am today.
I am a teacher today because of you.
You are warriors.

...it's Teacher Appreciation Week if you haven't heard :)

On another note that's not exactly showing appreciation to teachers, things are getting a little hairy here at the state capitol.
The Senate just passed a bill that requires districts to fund a new evaluation system for teachers...yet the legislature just cut a quarter of a billion dollars for K-12 funding for next year.  

umm did you think that one through? 

Did I mention that we would be evaluated on student growth? 
Thanks to our wonderful union who fought hard to get the bill to be amended...the requirement that 50 percent of an evaluation be based on CSAP scores has changed to a requirement that 50 percent be based on multiple measures of student growth.

Here's an idea! Why don't a bunch of people who have NEVER taught a day in their life, been on the frontline of education, or even spent a day in one of their state's schools come up with a really awesome bill that is going to cause people to cheat and never go into education!  Oh waaait! They already did!
As our union said, "Teacher's don't fear accountability. They want a fair, credible evaluation." 

...this is messy and it could really impact my job if it passes with the House Education Committee today. 

:(
happy teacher appreciation week

No comments :

Post a Comment