Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I'd Love to Kiss You, But I Just Washed My Hair

I was watching a movie on the turner classic movie channel the other day and the young man moved in close to the girl he couldn't have but needed so badly and said, "You smell so good."
She replied with, "I washed my hair for ya Johnny."

:) 

Since the day our hair started to have a little unruly wave in junior high my twin sister and I have been blow drying and straightening our hair. And with one drop of rain all the effort would be thrown out the window and we would be wildly rummaging through our backpacks for any sort of object that could be used as a hair tie. My older sister however, got more curly haired genes than us and sports perfect ringlets...something I've always had a hard time accepting as fair.
For as long as I've known my husband, he has begged me to let my hair be in its natural state.  He thinks my hair looks best when it dries naturally and wonders why I need to 'get ready'.  I look at him like he's from Mars, ignore him, and run into the bathroom to begin my daily routine. 

I've never been happy with my hair. I don't know why. I have hair and that in itself should be everything I need.  I go through the vicious cycle of growing it out, getting frustrated, cutting it off, getting frustrated, growing it out...and it never ends. 

When will it end? 

It's time for me to wear my hair the way nature intended. I'm a curly haired girl and I need to accept that. I should be proud of my hair and it's connection to my Italian roots.  It's time to put away my blowdryer and my straightener.  It's time to fall in love with the hair I was given. 
My hair feels happier already...and so do I.

8 comments :

  1. I think it looks fantastic! Embrace the curls ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I'll be interested in what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. I work at a salon and am constantly begging the stylists to change my hair. Love what you have and carry on!! Kudos- looks great to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am jealous of your curls! You have the option to wear it any which way! Lucky! I'm glad you're embracing it... you look pretty that way! As for me, my hair is pin straight, wont hold a curl to save it's life, and drab to say the least. I gotta work at this to make it look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also embraced it and today I looked like a lion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you hair - you're lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good for you! i did this for the last week on vacation and it really is so freeing!

    ReplyDelete