Friday, August 8, 2014

Our Big Fat Greek/Italian Reunion, Christening, and Wedding {Michigan Part III}

One of the many reasons why we made the road trip to Michigan was so that we could have a little family reunion (on my dad's side). It was the first time we had all been together in a very long time- since 1990 to be exact- and there were lots of new little cousins running around that we had yet to meet.  With my cousin's wedding that weekend, my aunt thought it would be the perfect chance to have a Redente family BBQ. 
Everdeen was having no part of a cousin picture...
The four inexplicable blond haired cousins 
Anthony and Vincent playing with, cool, Great Uncle Ed
The next day we woke up early and put on our Sunday best for my nephew Oliver's Christening. We drove through downtown Detroit and into Greek town...hoping we wouldn't take a wrong turn and end up on some sketchy part of 8 Mile Road. The Greek Church was beautiful and it was so special to get to whiteness such a unique ceremony...all in Greek of course! Oliver is now officially Greek and will soon learn how to shout Opa! and throw back a shot of Ouzo. I kid...
After a celebration luncheon my sisters and I hopped in the car with my mom and drove around the small town of Northville, where she had grown up.  My mom showed us the home she had lived in, her schools she had attended, and the church where my parents were married. We even got to say hello to her dear friend who she has known since primary school :) I think it must always be bittersweet visiting a place you hold dear to your heart...especially when every time you come back it has changed and grown. Sometimes I wish places never changed, but stayed a time stamp of what was then. 

That evening we were off to Detroit once more, but this time for our cousins's wedding at the Masonic Temple. I had never driven around Detroit until now.  It had sort of an eerie feeling to it...run down, trash along the roads. What were once beautiful old brick buildings and houses were now boarded up and abandoned. It was sad to think that this city was once powerful and great and today it looks like it's been through war...which in a way, I guess it sort of has been.
The wedding was beautiful and we had a great time celebrating with our family! Martin and I enjoyed our second date in two months- I know I know, we're getting carried away...

The next morning we awoke at quarter to 4 to say goodbye to Kate and Bobby and began to pack up the car for the long 18 hour trip back to Colorado.  I'm so glad we all decided to go together...all the memories we shared and the special moments we witnessed.  It was the perfect way to end my summer vacation. I'm back to school next week so we are soaking up these last few days together as a family. 

4 comments :

  1. Loved reading your story. I looked real cool with my purse strap across my wedding clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got caught up on your blog...I just love to read and see you adventures. You and your sisters are so pretty and what fun to do this road trip together! Darin would kill me if I played mamma Mia in the car but if my sisters were along we'd totally have to rock it. Everdeen is so cute with her cousins! Maybe she'll have whispery little memories if this trip and this summer. I like to think so for Lucy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it sure looks like you've had an amazing summer too! Thinking of you this week. Hope you are living up every last second of this time with Everdeen. Summer goes way too fast! xo

    ReplyDelete