Tuesday, November 6, 2012

We Had An Election and the Cat Won

Today I taught my kinder friends all about an election and voting.  We voted on a very very important issue...which book to read after lunch. 
These are two of my classes favorite characters, Pete the Cat and Skippy Jon Jones, and they were really excited to see which one would win! We wrote our votes down, P for Pete and S for Skippy. 
 
I told my students this was a secret ballot so no telling your friend who you are voting for.  Of course then you have the few students shouting out, "What letter do we write if we want Pete the Cat to win?"  Pretty sure everyone just heard you :)

We folded our papers and dropped them in the jar to be tallied.
We could hardly contain our excitement as we counted each tally mark! Which cat is going to win??
Yay! Skippy won by two votes!
One of my students looked at Pete the Cat and told him it was okay he didn't win and patted him on the head. Maybe we should have had a little dose of five year old in this year's presidential election :) 

6 comments :

  1. So cute! Great idea and I love SkippyJon Jones. I even read my old First grade books to my Middle Schoolers and they love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I never read Pete that cat! I will try to find it...ahha

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to teach your kindergartners about the election!
    I made my blog private send me your e-mail and I will send you a request to follow-- emilyanneanderson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice way to bring the election into the classroom and give them an opportunity to learn about things! I remember holding a mock election in my elementary school back in the day. I was in third grade, I believe, and that was when Bill Clinton was running for a second term.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check my blog for the details!

    Let's follow and support each other on our blogging journey!

    http://kinderpillars.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete